Venus Bay Getaway

This past week has gone by like a whirlwind, so my apologies for the lack of posts recently. The family and I have just returned from our little getaway at Venus Bay and exhausted as I am, I really want to document it before the magic fades. 

We had been waiting for the day that we were able to bring Skye on our road trips. When she received her last vaccination, we immediately searched for a location. We were so hyped up about the trip, until one day Skye threw up in the car during a short ride. We had always thought that she loved car rides, but all of the sudden, it became quite a problem. We trained her up by feeding her and playing with her in the car, going on short rides, and even giving her some pet calmer, and guess what, no vomits throughout the entire trip!

We headed down on Friday night after work, so we pretty much only had one full day on Saturday for activities. We sure made full use of it though!

It was Skye's first encounter with the beach, and she absolutely loved it. In fact, she loved it so much that we took her to different beaches on three separate occasions during the short time we had there. Seeing her having the time of her life running up and down the sand and into the water just made my heart swell with joy. She was so wet and dirty afterwards but it was totally worth it. We're gonna make it a point to bring her there more often!

The humans had a jolly good time as well. Our main goal was to collect some pipis for the night's dinner, and so the four of us (hubby, my parents and I) set out with our buckets and our fishing licences. We actually ended up going three times on Saturday because the first two attempts weren't very fruitful. On the first occasion, we went to Beach No.5 at 9am and collected a grand total of 4 pipis after an hour. We then decided to go to Beach No.1 at 1pm and although we managed to collect about 1 litre, it was too tiring because the tide was too high.

The third and last attempt was the best of all. Minimally refreshed after a nap, hubby and I set out to Beach No.1 again at about 7pm during low tide for our final round. We searched for quite a while, but once we found a great spot it was so easy. I sat in the shallow waters in the same spot for about 30 minutes and all I had to do was pick the pipis that had washed up around me. 

I was shivering on the way back, but we were graced with the view of a stunning sunset. In that moment, I felt so happy and free, and so grateful to be alive. 

Our accommodation was not the best, with very basic amenities, but in the end I think that added to the close to nature feel of this holiday. It was quite cold but I was definitely kept warm with lots of food and great company. Although the trip was physically tiring, the mental satisfaction and rejuvenation I feel continues to linger. 

I feel like this trip is one of those rare ones that will forever hold a special place in my heart. Such a different trip from the ones I've been on - isolated beaches, unsealed roads, minimal reception, and we ran out of hot water. Yet, it's the most connected I've felt in a while.


  1. Sounds like an amazing trip, you just need to get away from everything sometimes. Skye is adorable!

    1. Aww thank you! Yes, an escape from the everyday hustle and bustle is great once in a while. Didn't think isolation would feel so good!