We got up early on a Sunday morning and headed to Springvale to buy our ingredients. We left at 8am and 3 hours later, we were home starting prep. The feast took a total of 7 people and 4 hours to prepare, excluding the time we spent shopping for ingredients!
On the menu:
- Salmon sashimi
- Natural oysters with lemon
- Seafood paella (fish, prawns, mussels, calamari)
- X.O. sauce pipis with Chinese donuts
- Scallops pan-seared with garlic herb butter
- Tempura (prawns, eggplant, mushrooms)
- Mussels in white wine and parsley
- Chicken wings with honey mustard sauce
For 4 hours we had everyone constantly washing, chopping, cutting..
And then came the cooking, frying and simmering. We even created a makeshift cooktop outdoors using a portable gas stove so that we could get more cooking done at the same time.
As you can guess, we had way too much food. We really only started eating at 3pm, and so I was too full for dinner that night. Everything turned out pretty amazing, and even though we would definitely scale it down for our next party, I'm glad we did this! Even though it took a lot of effort it was really fun and I learned more than a thing or two. For example, tempura mushrooms, I didn't think it was possible but it was so yummy!
So there you have it, a home-cooked seafood feast. I wonder what our next theme will be?