If you were a reader from when I had my old blog, you would know that I have made this before. The first time I saw it on 'The Big Bang Theory' I knew I had to have it. When I found out it was expensive to buy one, I made one out of cardboard and coloured paper. It was a very sloppy job so here is my attempt at making a better version!
Plain square tissue box cover (Spotlight, $7)
A4 coloured paper: 3 x black, 1 x red, 1 x green, 1 x orange, 1 x blue, 1 x white, 1 x yellow (Spotlight, $0.80 per sheet)
Double sided tape
(Note: I don't recommend using craft glue because:
1. It will be hard to be precise with the corners, therefore they will become flappy.
2. If you put too much glue or put it on unevenly, there will be creases and bumps when you stick the papers on.)
What to do:
1. Measure the height and width of each face.
2. Cut out five black sheets corresponding to the heights and widths from Step 1.
3. Carefully stick the black sheets onto all the faces using double sided tape, except for the top face.
4. Align the last black sheet on the top face and flip the box upside down. Trace the opening onto the black sheet.
5. Cut out the opening. Carefully stick the black sheet onto the top face using double sided tape.
6. Minus 2cm from the width obtained in Step 1. Divide by 3. This will be the height and width of your coloured squares. Cut out 45 squares (there should not be more than 9 of the same colour).
[For example, the width of my box was 13cm. ( 13cm - 2cm ) / 3 = 3.67 cm. I cut coloured squares that were 3.6cm x 3.6cm.]
7. Space 9 squares evenly on each face. Carefully Stick them on using double sided tape.
8. For the top face, cut your coloured squares to fit around the opening before sticking.